>>>This competition has been postponed. We hope to reopen the 2021 Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition later this year<<<
Get ready for the third year of the Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition!
The Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition is an opportunity for all clinicians and cancer researchers to share their work using imagery; from images that can only be observed with the aid of a microscope to photos demonstrating key themes in clinical oncology.
However, this year has been different. The pandemic has changed the cancer research field, and we know that many of you will have seen the impact firsthand. Therefore, this year, not only do we want to see photos of your research from the lab, we want to see your research from the sofa, your new clinical realities, your inventive ‘working from home’ set-ups and new lab rules!
We welcome entries that explore oncology from the molecular to clinical level. If you are looking for some inspiration, why not view our 2020 finalists?
- US $100 Amazon voucher
- A total of 35% off Open Access when you submit a paper to the journal Future Oncology or 50% off Open Access when you submit a paper to one of our Oncology Management journals
- An interview with the photographer about the story behind the photo
All finalists will have their photo featured on Oncology Central, and the winner will have theirs showcased on the homepage.
How can I enter?
- To enter, email your image to the Oncology Central Senior Editor, Rachel Jenkins, at [email protected], with the subject line ‘Photo Competition’.
- Image needs to be saved in the file format ‘photographerfullname.jpeg’ (or .jpg) and submitted with an image title and caption (min 25 words, max 150) putting the research into context. The caption must be comprehensible to any professional in oncology and will be taken into consideration by the judges when making their decision.
- Images should be a minimum of 300dpi. Images should be of the highest quality available and saved as JPEG/JPG files. Very large images should be sent by WeTransfer.
- Each entrant can submit up to three images. Judging will be based on the single image and not the series of images. Where one entrant submits multiple images, files should be saved in the file format ‘photographerfullname1.jpeg’ (or .jpg) etc. If an entrant submits more than three images, only the first three submitted will be judged. Entrants will be required to fill in a copyright form for their images, which will be emailed to them.
Two winners will be chosen:
The Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition winner will be picked by the Oncology Central judging panel.
A second image will be picked for the Oncologists Choice Award – as chosen by the public on social media.
Entries must be submitted by 27th January 2021, 18:00 GMT/12:00 CDT/13:00 EDT.
- Any queries should be directed to [email protected]
- By entering this competition, you are deemed to accept the Competition rules and the terms and conditions.
- Finalists will be chosen in January; winners will be chosen in February 2020 and will be notified by email. We will announce the winners publicly in February/ March 2020 by issuing a press release.
- There is no cost for entry to the Competition. No expenses will be paid.
By entering the Competition, you hereby accept these Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions:
1.1. The Competition is free to enter.
1.2. The Open Competition is open to all members of the public.
1.3. Entries must be submitted by 27th January 2021, 18:00 GMT/12:00 CDT/13:00 EDT.
1.5 To enter, you must email your image to Editor Rachel Jenkins at [email protected], with the subject line ‘Photo Competition’.
2.1. Each entrant can submit up to three images for free. Judging will be based on the single image and not the series of images.
2.2. Images should be a minimum of 300dpi. Images should be of the highest quality available and saved as JPEG or JPG files. All entrants must be able to supply a high-resolution image suitable for enlargement and printing, should the image be required. Very large images should be sent by WeTransfer.
2.3. Image needs to be saved in file format ‘photographerfullname.jpeg’ and submitted with an image title and minimum of 25-word description
3.1 A shortlist of up to ten photographs will be selected and the overall winner will be announced in November.
3.2 The decision of the judging committee is final, and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
4.1 Oncology Central reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the website. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by You (“Entry”), as follows:
4.1.1 You are the owner and author of each entry
4.1.2 You have the right to make your entry available to the competition
4.1.3 Each Entry must not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content.
4.1.4 Each Entry must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity. Images in public spaces do not require release from background people/subjects.
5. All entrants understand that any image submitted to the Competition may be used by Oncology Central and its partners for marketing and promotional purposes. You hereby grant Future Science Group a non-exclusive, irrevocable license in each Entry in all media for any use connected to the promotion of You the author, Oncology Central, Future Science Group and its entities, and the Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition.
6. You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of Your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
7. There are no cash alternatives for the prizes offered.