Authors: Jade Parker, Editor
Get your cameras ready for the first Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition! This is your opportunity to share your photos that illustrate cutting-edge research and discoveries being made in the field of oncology.
What are we looking for?
The Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition is an opportunity for all cancer researchers and clinicians to share their findings using imagery.
- US $100 Amazon voucher
- A whopping 35% off Open Access when you submit a paper to the journal Future Oncology or 50% off Open Access when you submit a paper to one of our Oncology Management journals
- The opportunity to showcase your work to the global oncology community through an exclusive interview, with your image being showcased on our homepage image slider
More details on how to enter the competition:
We welcome entries that explore oncology from the molecular to the clinical level; from images that can only be observed with the aid of a microscope, to photos demonstrating discoveries in action. You might wish to showcase; the biology of cancer through fluorescent labeling, the complex signalling pathways of cancers through microscopy and staining, or day–to-day clinical situations.
- To enter, email your image to the Oncology Central Editor, Jade Parker, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ‘Photo Competition’ or fill in the form above.
- Image needs to be saved in file format ‘photographerfullname.jpeg’ (or .jpg) and submitted with an image title and caption (min 25 words, max 150) putting the research into context. The caption must be comprehensible to any professional in oncology and will be taken into consideration by the judges when making their decision.
- Images should a minimum of 300dpi. Images should be of the highest quality available and saved as JPEG/JPG files. Very large images should be sent by WeTransfer.
- Each entrant can submit up to three images. Judging will be based on the single image and not the series of images. Where one entrant submits multiple images, files should be saved in the file format ‘photographerfullname1.jpeg’ (or .jpg), ‘photographerfullname2.jpeg’ etc. If an entrant submits more than three images, only the first three submitted will be judged. Entrants will be required to fill in a copyright form for their images, which will be emailed to them.
Two winners will be chosen:
The Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition winner will be picked by the Oncology Central judging panel.
A second image will be picked for the Oncologists Choice Award – as chosen by the public on social media.
Entries must be submitted by 1st October 2018, 17.00 BST/11:00 CDT/12:00 EDT.
- Any queries should be directed to email@example.com
- By entering this competition you are deemed to accept the competition rules and the terms and conditions.
- Finalists will be chosen in October, winners will be chosen in November 2018 and will be notified by email. We will announce the winners publicly in November 2018 by issuing a press release.
- There is no cost for entry to the competition. No expenses will be paid.
The Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition rewards the best single images that illustrate cutting-edge research and care in the field of oncology.
By entering the Competition You hereby accept these Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions:
1.1. The Competition is free to enter.
1.2. The Open Competition is open to all members of the public.
1.3. Entries must be submitted by 1st October, 17.00 BST/11:00 CDT/12:00 EDT.
2. To enter, you must email your image to Editor Jade Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ‘Photo Competition’.
2.1. Each entrant can submit up to three images for free. Judging will be based on the single image and not the series of images.
2.2. Images should be a minimum of 300dpi. Images should be of the highest quality available and saved as JPEG or JPG files. All entrants must be able to supply a high resolution image suitable for enlargement and printing, should the image be required. Very large images should be sent by WeTransfer.
2.3. Image needs to be saved in file format ‘photographerfullname.jpeg’ and submitted with an image title and minimum of 25 word description
3. A shortlist of up to ten photographs will be selected and the overall winner will be announced in November.
3.1 The decision of the judging committee is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
4.1 Oncology Central reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the website. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by You (“Entry”), as follows:
4.1.1 You are the owner and author of each entry
4.1.2 You have the right to make your entry available to the competition
4.1.3 Each Entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libellous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content.
4.1.4 Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity. Images in public spaces do not require release from background people/subjects.
5. All entrants understand that any image submitted to the competition may be used by Oncology Central and its partners for marketing and promotional purposes. You hereby grant Future Science Group a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in each Entry in all media for any use connected to the promotion of You the author, Oncology Central and the Capturing Cancer: Oncology Central Photography Competition.
6. You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of Your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
7. There are no cash alternatives for the prizes offered.